unit logo

Payment Card Operations

We would like to start accepting credit cards in our department. What do we need to do to get set up?
Click this link for instructions on how to accept Credit Card payments via e-Commerce (Internet) or click this link for instructions on how to accept Credit Card Payments via Swiping Machines. Or, contact us at 352-392-9057 or at Treasury-creditcards@ad.ufl.edu.
We have a technical issue with our credit card machine. Can you help us?
For technical, hardware and troubleshooting support concerning PAX terminals contact:

service@bluefin.com or 1-(800) 675-6573

If they should determine that your unit needs to be replaced call Payment Card Operations at (352) 392-9057 to get a quote and to order a replacement machine.

What should I do if I am compromised?
Contact the Privacy Office as well as Banking & Merchant Services.

Privacy Office:
Email: privacy@ufl.edu
Phone: (352) 294-8720
Fax: (352) 627-9052

Mailing Address:
PO Box 103175
Gainesville, FL 32610-3175

Physical Address:
3007 SW Williston Road
Gainesville, FL 32608

Banking & Merchant Services:
Email: tmhelp@admin.ufl.edu
Phone: (352) 392-9057
Physical Address: Criser Hall, Room S-113

Is it OK to process credit card payments on behalf of a customer on my work computer?

Agents of the University are no longer allowed to process credit card transactions on University-owned devices on behalf of customers.  The customer must make the online payment using the customer’s own device.

Who should I contact to learn more about PCI Compliance at UF?
Contact Banking & Merchant Services, Payment Card Operations:

Who is required to complete annual credit card security training?
Annual training is required for personnel processing credit cards in one of the following categories:

  • Has access to cardholder data
  • Fiscal officer of account in which credit card payments are credited and/or their delegate
  • Handles credit card payments as part of their regular job duties.
How do I get approval to begin accepting credit card payments or to begin using a new credit card processing method?
Contact Banking & Merchant Services, Payment Card Operations:

How do I process a refund to an eCommerce transaction (IPAY)?
Download the eCommerce Credit Card Refund, complete, sign, and send to Banking & Merchant Services Payment Card Operations for processing.
What is the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) and to whom does it apply?
PCI DSS is the result of a collaboration of the major credit card associations to establish a single data security standard designed to protect sensitive cardholder information. Any entity that stores, processes or transmits cardholder data (including credit and debit cards) must comply with PCI DSS requirements.
Where can I find the PCI Data Security Standards (PCI DSS)?
PCI DSS requirements are defined by the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council (PCI SSC). Visit the PSCI SSC website for more information.
What is meant by ‘cardholder data’? What credit card information can I store?
Cardholder data is any personally identifiable data associated with a cardholder. This could be an account number, expiration date, name, address, social security number, etc. When required for business purposes, the following information may be stored:

  • Primary Account Number (PAN)
  • Cardholder Name*
  • Service Code*
  • Expiration Date*

*Any of these elements being stored in conjunction with the primary account number must be protected in accordance with PCI DSS requirements. The following information may never be stored subsequent to authorization:

  • Full Magnetic Stripe
  • Card Validation Code (CVC2/CVV2)
  • PIN/PIN Block
Do departments or units using third-party processors have to be PCI compliant?
Yes. Merely using a third-party company does not exclude a company from PCI compliance. It may cut down on risk exposure and consequently reduce the effort to validate compliance. However, it does not mean the company can ignore PCI.
What are the penalties for noncompliance?
The payment brands may fine an acquiring bank $5,000 to $100,000 per month for PCI compliance violations. The banks will most likely pass this fine on downstream until it eventually hits the merchant. Furthermore,

  • Non-compliance can result in fines and remedial efforts that could easily exceed $1 million. Costs include fines, forensic exams, cardholder notifications, setup of a call center, credit monitoring and more costly compliance requirements. The costs would be the responsibility of the merchant.
  • Fraud and identity theft are a risk to customers (students, faculty/staff and general public) if a department is non-compliant.
  • Breach of cardholder information can result in negative publicity and damage to UF’s reputation.
  • The bank will also most likely either terminate your relationship or increase transaction fees.
What is vulnerability scanning and do I need it to validate compliance?
If you electronically store cardholder data post authorization or if your processing systems have any internet connectivity, a quarterly scan by a PCI SSC Approved Scanning Vendor (ASV) is required.


Who can help me make corrections to my deposit?
Anyone on the Deposit Control team.  Contact us through tmhelp@admin.ufl.edu or call (352) 392-9057.
Who can delete a deposit?
ONLY Banking & Merchant Services-Deposit Control can delete a deposit. Please contact our office at (352) 392-9057 or tmhelp@admin.ufl.edu and request us to delete the deposit. Include the Deposit Unit and ID.
When entering a deposit in PeopleSoft, how do I change the accounting date on my deposit?
Navigate in my UFL to: Main Menu>Accounts Receivable>Payment>Direct Journal Payment> Modify Accounting Entries

  • Enter the Deposit Unit and ID
  • Click on Search.
  • Deselect the Complete box
  • Click OK when the warning box is prompted
  • Click Save

Navigate to Accounts Receivable>Payment>Direct Journal Payment>Create Accounting Entries

  • Click the Delete button (“X” next to the lightning bolt icon) 
  • Click Save 

Navigate to Accounts Receivable>Payments>Online Payments>Regular Deposit 

  • Select the Totals control tab 
  • Change the Accounting Date to the desired date.
  • Click the Payments tab 
  • Click the Save button 
  • Click the Apply Payments link 
  • Click the Create button (lightning bolt) 
  • Click the Complete box 
  • Click the Save button 
Why is it important to have the support documentation for the cash and check deposit?
Support documentation is required to be uploaded electronically to the departmental deposit when it is entered in myUFL. Documents should support the purpose of the deposit and the fund and account code used in the Chartfield string. A good rule of thumb is to ask “What would help someone else understand this deposit?” Examples of uploaded documents would be an invoice, sales receipt, statement, cash expense refund form, check log, remittance advice, EFT addendum, etc.
What accounting date should be used for my deposits?
  • Cash and Check deposits accounting date is determined by the day the deposits are received by the bank.
  • Credit Card accounting date is determined by the settlement date.
  • ACH/Wires accounting is determined by the date on the addendum.
When will my funds be available?
We budget check all deposits daily, which updates your available balance in Commitment Control.
Why is a voucher number important to include in my deposit of a cash expense refund?
Refunds related to expenses should always be deposited to the same ChartField from which the original expense was paid. Enter the original voucher number, expense report number, or journal ID number in the reference field of the Journal Reference Information Tab when making the deposit. Banking & Merchant Services must verify the ChartField information on the original expense against the ChartFields in the deposit.

ACH, EFT and Wires

How do I send a bank wire?
Wires may be requested as a form of payment to an approved UF supplier and with an approved voucher. Wires paid in USD are processed by Disbursements and instructions can be found on the Disbursements webpage at https://www.fa.ufl.edu/directives/payments-and-cancellations/
Can I send a wire in a foreign currency?
Wire payments in a Foreign currency or that require an intermediary bank are processed by Banking and Merchant Services (BMS) by submitting the UF Bank Wires form to investments@ad.ufl.edu. The amount field on the Bank Wires form should be the amount of the foreign currency you wish to send. The voucher is the equivalent amount of USD. Send an email to Special Payments at payments@admin.ufl.edu with “Bank Wire Voucher” as the subject line to prevent the payment from being sent twice. Banking and Merchant Services will notify Disbursements and have the voucher amount corrected at the time of the foreign wire being issued. The Bank Wires form can be found on the Banking and Merchant Services webpage at https://www.fa.ufl.edu/departments/banking-merchant-services/forms-resources/