Emergency Check Request Policies and Procedures
Prior to submitting an Emergency Check Request, review this page.
Requesting an Emergency Check
- Emergency checks are processed every week but have specific submission deadline dates for the request. Please verify the submission deadline dates on the Bi-Weekly Payroll Schedule sent on the listserv. Be aware that deadlines are likely to change during accelerated payroll periods.
- Employee must be short at least 20% of their normal biweekly FTE. If not, the correction should be made the next pay period.
- Employee must have entered their time by the designated deadline for time entry. If the employee did not enter their time worked by the deadline, an emergency check will not be approved, regardless of the % of underpayment.
- Please indicate any extenuating circumstances on the check request form.
- Please verify that a distribution has been entered for the employee prior to sending the request form. We cannot process an emergency check without a distribution being in the system.
- These checks are not paid by EFT. The employee will receive a paper check.
- Be aware that cancellation of the regular payroll check and replacement with an emergency check can impact the employee’s benefits, since some deductions are not taken from these checks and there is the potential for a missing payment on health insurance or other issues. Please instruct the employee to contact HR Benefits to verify that all coverage are up to date with payment.
- Please be aware that the emergency check is issued in the place of the normal bi-weekly EFT payment
Disbursement of Emergency Checks
Emergency checks are required to be picked up from the Payroll and Tax Services Office by the department payroll processor or other departmental personnel designated by the processor as a representative. (The employee cannot pick up their own check). Hours for pickup are Mon-Fri, 8:00am – 5:00pm at East Campus Office Building, 2046 NE Waldo Road, Suite 1250.
The department payroll processor will receive an email notification that the emergency check(s) is ready for pickup at the payroll office. The email notice needs to be presented along with a valid UFID card when picking up the emergency check at the Payroll Office.
Exceptions may be made for delivery to remote UF locations. Please contact us in regards to delivery to a remote UF office. Request for overnight mailing of an emergency check to remote UF location may be made on the form, under the section labeled “Additional Instructions.”
If the department is requesting emergency payment of time worked for an exempt employee, you may be asked by Payroll Services to change the hours requested on the emergency check to the NOPAY time reporting code to avoid a duplicate payment for the same hours.
If the department is requesting emergency payment of time worked for a non-exempt employee, you may be asked by Payroll Services to delete time punches and enter time in the elapsed timesheet using the NOPAY time reporting code to avoid a duplicate payment for the same hours.