What is a Waiver?
Waivers are a non-cash method of satisfying all or a portion of tuition and fee costs. There are several types of waivers listed below:
- State-Authorized Waivers
- Graduate Assistant/Fellow Waivers
- Employee Education Program
- UF Department-Awarded Waivers
Information about the waivers is available in State University System of Florida Board of Governors Regulation BOG 7.008.
The Florida Legislature recently introduced three new state-approved waivers:
Programs of Strategic Emphasis Waiver (formerly STEM Waiver)
Undergraduate, Florida resident students in certain programs receive a waiver for 50% of tuition and fees associated with courses required for their majors. The waiver will be applied until the student completes the degree or reaches 110% of the credits required for the degree program. There is no need to apply as qualified students will be identified by their enrollment information and will receive the waiver automatically. Starting in Fall 2023, qualified instructional programs include: Computer & Information Sciences, Information Technology, Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Accounting, and Finance.
Free Seat Waiver
The Online Free Seat Program was created by the Florida Legislature to encourage veterans, active-duty members of the United States Armed Forces, active drilling members of the Florida National Guard, and nontraditional students who have not previously earned a bachelor’s degree to enroll in an online baccalaureate degree program. For more information about qualification and to apply, visit UFOnline.
This waiver allows eligible non-resident incoming freshman to be charged the same as Florida resident students if they have a grandparent living in the state. UF been granted an allocation of 145 spaces for this waiver which are filled on a first-come/first-serve basis. To learn more about eligibility and to apply for the waiver visit the UF Admissions website (hyperlink to https://admissions.ufl.edu/cost-and-aid/residency#fee-waiver)
The student must submit paperwork from the appropriate agency to the Bursar at S-113 Criser Hall at the start of the term for the following waivers:
- Deceased Law Enforcement, Correctional, or Correctional Probation Officers Employed by the State or Political Subdivision
- Deceased Firefighters Employed by the State or Political Subdivision
- Florida Department of Children and Family Service Adoption
- Florida Department of Children and Family Service Foster Care
- Deceased Teacher or School Administrator Employed by a Florida District School Board
- Intern Supervisors
- Florida Linkage Institutes, provided to University Bursar by International Center
The student must submit paperwork from the appropriate agency to the Office of the University Registrar for the following waivers:
- Acceleration (High School Dual-Enrolled or Early Admission)
- Purple Heart Recipients
- Florida Residents 60 Years of Age or Older
- Select Florida High School
The University of Florida department will submit paperwork for the following:
- School Psychology Training Program
Graduate Assistant and Fellow Waivers
UF Graduate students; Research Assistants, Graduate Teaching Assistants, and Fellows that have an active Letter of Appointment (LOA) file will have the waiver automatically entered by the department providing the tuition and or fee waiver on the student financial account.
Questions concerning the Letter of Appointment file or a graduate or fellow waiver should be directed to the department sponsoring the student.
Employee Education Program
University of Florida employees may find information about tuition waivers on the UF Human Resource website: Employee Education Program.
Santa Fe College employees may contact their Human Resource department for additional information.
UF Department-Awarded Waivers
UF departments awarding waivers will submit the waiver information to be posted to student’s account. This does not apply to Graduate Assistant waivers processed through the Letter of Appointment process.
- Authorized UF Departments must email a spreadsheet with a list of students’ UF IDs and waiver amounts to firstname.lastname@example.org the end of drop/add period for the University Bursar to apply waivers to student accounts by the fee payment deadline date.
Students should contact the awarding department with any questions that they may have regarding their graduate waiver.
9/30/2022: updated content
Bursar: (352) 392-0181
Registrar: (352) 392-1374