Ensuring Employees are Paid Properly
This directive establishes the proper methods of ensuring employees are paid properly and in a timely manner.
Reason for Directive
Department leaders are responsible for assuring that new hires and employee record changes are processed in a timely and accurate fashion by the appropriate staff in their departments. This ensures that employees are paid properly.
Who must comply?
All departments at UF.
- Ensure employee’s human resource records have been submitted and properly approved
- Ensure the employee has been enrolled in the Time & Labor Module
- Communicate departmental expectations to the employee for recording the time worked in a timely fashion, in accordance with the payroll schedule
- Train employees processing payroll on the following:
- Correct use of Time Reporting Codes (TRC)
- Importance of ensuring accurate pay, employee leave accruals and balances
- Staying informed via the Time & Labor Listserv for payroll approvers and processors:
Employees with the UF_TL_DEPT_APPROVER, UF_TL_DEPT_PROCESSOR, or UF_TL_DEPT_PROCESSOR_NON_RPTG security roles will automatically receive these listserv messages since it is a dynamic listserv based on these roles
- Approve the employee’s Payable Time in accordance with the payroll schedule
- Navigate to: Main Menu > Enterprise Analytics > Team Content > Human Resources Information > Pay Information > Current Pay Cycle
- Review the following reports to confirm that departmental employees are properly paid and payroll costs have been properly recorded in the General Ledger, with the correct combination code:
A Combination Code is a 7- or 9-digit number created by General Accounting (GA) used in the Commitment Accounting department budget table module. It represents the complete unique ChartField combination (cost center) for the General Ledger (GL). Combination Codes are used to distribute all payroll charges such as salary and additional pay. A Combination Code is any valid combination of ChartFields, but all Combination Codes must have at minimum: Department ID, Fund, Program Code and Budget Reference.
Distributions are part of commitment accounting and are used to identify the funding source for an employee.
Payroll listing available through Enterprise Reporting which provides a list of employees and identifying information, including the amount paid on a specific pay. See Navigation provided in the Procedure section above.
Used to reflect time worked, leave, and holidays. They are also used to designate leave (paid and unpaid) as qualifying under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). Other TRCs can be used to provide administrative leave or apply shift differential, among other actions.
07/31/2021 : reviewed content
Payroll Services: (352) 392-1231
Academic Personnel: (352) 392-2477
Student Employment: (352) 392-0296
UF Help Desk: (352) 392-HELP