Disposing of Attractive Property
This directive establishes the proper methods of disposing of attractive property. Departments will need to request the disposal of the property from Asset Management for all capital assets or attractive property not sent to UF Surplus. In accordance with Section 273.05, Florida Statutes, the University has appointed a “Property Management Committee” to review all dispositions information for UF owned capital assets. It is the committee’s role to recommend the final disposition of capital assets.
Reason for Directive
To adhere to Section 273.05, Florida Statutes, and other regulations.
Who must comply?
All UF departments. Property Custodians are responsible for approving all disposal requests.
No property, including attractive assets, may be given to an individual or thrown away without prior approval from Asset Management.
Review the Capital and Attractive Livestock Directive for information on dispositions of livestock.
Below are different methods and procedures for disposing of attractive assets:
Request a Surplus Pick-up or Recycle
In support of UF Strategic Plan and UF’s sustainability initiative, when attractive property is no longer needed, all property should be sent to UF Surplus to be reused, refurbished, or recycled.
- The Departmental Contact will follow the Sending Items to UF Surplus Directive
- Departments will need to record the disposal of federal property in myAssets
- Special allowances are made for property located outside of Alachua County. Equipment located in an area not serviced by UF Surplus may work with their local recycler to dispose of equipment
Utilize the UF Property Swap Listserv
Note: Computers cannot be listed on Listserv. Sign up for the UF Property Swap Listserv.
To create a posting:
- Select Email Lists Tab
- Select Appropriate Listserv Group (UF-PROPERTY-SWAP-L)
- Select Post New Message under Options
Provide additional information and post:
- Add Photos by browsing for file & attaching any photos
- Fill out body of email with information about your item, including number of items, size/dimensions, color, condition, etc.
- Hit Send
- You will get a confirmation from Asset Management that your posting has been approved & released
Remember to post that “Items have been claimed!”
Complete a Disposal Request
Departments will need to request approval from Asset Management using a disposal request for all of the disposal methods below.
Departments should complete the disposal request, including signatures if required, then upload the request in myAssets. If the department is unable to upload the request, the disposal request can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Departments need to document on the Disposal Request:
- What parts were used to repair other property
- What property was repaired
- What was done with the parts that were remaining
By submitting this disposal request, the department is certifying that the asset will be dismantled and no longer used.
Used when the department no longer wishes to track the attractive property. This disposal request can only be used for non-mandatory (departmental elected) attractive property.
Donating to another University
When a faculty member transfers from UF to another University, the property purchased on grants or contracts that are transferring with the faculty member will transfer to the new University. Additionally, property purchased on federal grants that have closed, but are continuing to support the PI’s research, can transfer with the faculty member if the property is not needed at UF.
The department will use the Disposal Request and include:
- Signatures from the College Dean, Division of Sponsored Programs and the Property Custodian
- Verification of acceptance of the equipment by signature or email from the receiving institution
When a department has not disposed of an asset properly, such as throwing it away, the Disposal Request must be used.
Please note, departments must identify corrective actions to prevent future property loss.
Report Lost or Stolen Property
Whenever it has been discovered that Attractive Property has been lost or stolen, the University Police Department must be notified immediately to obtain an incident or police report, whichever is applicable. The police report or incident report will be required to complete the Disposal Request.
In the case of loss of non-state-owned property that is covered by insurance, the department must notify the Environmental Health and Safety Insurance Coordinator at (352) 392-1591.
03/31/2023: Reviewed content
Asset Management: (352) 392-2556
University Police: (352) 392-1111