A moving expense is the cost of packing, shipping, and storage of household goods or a mobile home, and reasonable expenses incurred for moving an automobile.
It is also critical to keep in mind that certain items are taxable moving expenses. Contact Payroll Services (email@example.com) provides up-to-date information about what is taxable per IRS guidelines.
Reason for Directive
To outline the steps needed prior to and after a move, and their related moving expenses.
Who must comply?
The Requesting Department, Procurement, Payroll Services, and the University faculty/staff member involved.
- The requesting Department must put in a requisition regarding the move. This must include detailed information:
- Place of origin
- Date of anticipated move
- Telephone numbers
- Email addresses
- Name of person to be contacted
- Procurement assigns the move to a UF contracted carrier
- Upon receipt of all the documentation and carrier estimate, the Purchase Order is issued
- Depending on the availability of moneys, the Purchase Order will be for that portion of the fixed amount of the move authorized by the department.
- The employee must pay the difference between the amount authorized by the department and the actual cost of the move when the household goods arrive at their destination
- The move is coordinated by Purchasing with the carrier, the employee being moved, and the funding department
If it is a Self-Move, which is when a new faculty/staff member may elect to move their own household goods themselves or using a company they personally choose, there are guidelines to help at the time of reimbursement.
- The move will be paid for by the staff member
- Reimbursement will come after the receipts are received in the department. Follow the steps in the Payroll Services Moving Expenses directive
Purchase Order (PO)
A contract for the purchase of a good or service. The process of issuing a PO ensures compliance with purchasing policies, budget checking for available funds, and encumbering of funds in the University’s budget systems.
04/30/2021: reviewed content
Disbursements: (352) 392-1241
Payroll Services: (352) 392-1231