Emergency Payroll Checks
This directive establishes the proper methods of requesting an emergency payroll check.
Reason for Directive
To ensure emergency check requirements are met and that emergency check requests are sent to Payroll Services by the stated deadline.
Who must comply?
All university departments.
Deadlines for Emergency (Off-Cycle) Requests
By the end of business on Tuesday of pay day week for a check to be picked up at the Payroll Services office on payday (Friday) by a department representative.
By noon on Monday following payday for a check to be available Thursday after payday for a department representative to pick up in the Payroll Services office.
NOTE: Supervisors must be diligent in approving time and be sure that a backup approver is available if the supervisor is unable to approve the time. This is critical so that a financial hardship is not created for the employee.
Emergency Check Request Requirements
- There must be a distribution on all employee records for which an emergency check has been requested
- The employee was paid less than 80% of his regular wages (based on FTE)
- If a non-exempt employee did not enter their time worked by the Time & Labor deadline, an emergency check will not be approved, regardless of the percentage of the underpayment
- Time worked was not approved by the supervisor AND the employee is paid less than 80% of his regular wages
- “Additional Pay” only qualifies for an emergency check for fellowships or other payments where the additional pay is the employee’s only source of income from the University
- If the additional pay meets this requirement, then the Goal Balance must be updated in Additional Pay before the emergency check can be processed
- Please contact Payroll Services with any extenuating circumstances. These should also be noted on the Emergency Check Request Form
- Late/New hires
- Cancelled check needed to prevent significant overpayment
Prior to Completing a Check Request
- Request must be received by the stated deadline
- Please verify the submission deadline dates on the Bi-Weekly Payroll Schedules e-mailed to the UF Time and Labor Listserv
- Note: Deadlines are likely to change during accelerated payroll periods
- Payroll Services will process emergency check requests received by the Tuesday 4:00 pm deadline during the week of payday week, for a check on the payday Friday. Emergency checks requests received by the Monday Noon deadline during closing week, will be processed for a check on Thursday of the same week
- All emergency checks are physical checks and are not direct deposit
- Cancellation of the regular payroll check and replacement with an emergency check can impact the employee’s benefits, since limited deductions are taken from these checks. Therefore, there is the potential for a missing payment on health insurance or other issues. Please instruct the employee to contact Human Resources Benefits to verify that all coverage is up to date with payment. Employee’s timesheet should not be touched if the original check is cancelled
- The emergency check is issued in place of the normal bi-weekly direct deposit payment
Submit Emergency Check Request
If requirements are met for an emergency check, submit an Emergency Check Request Form for each check request following the directions on the request.
Please note the following adjustments to reported time for exempt and non-exempt employees:
Do not make any adjustments or changes as described below until advised to do so by Payroll Services.
- If the emergency check request is for an exempt employee, you may be asked by Payroll Services to change the hours requested on the emergency check to “NOPAY” time reporting code to avoid a duplicate payment
- If the emergency check request is for a non-exempt employee, you may be asked by Payroll Services to delete time punches and enter time in the elapsed timesheet using the “NOPAY” time reporting code to avoid a duplicate payment
Disbursement of Emergency Checks
- Emergency checks are required to be picked up from the Payroll Services Office (East Campus Office Building, 2046 NE Waldo Road, Suite 1250) by:
- Department payroll processer
- Other departmental personnel designated by the processor as a representative
- The employee cannot pick up his or her own check
- Hours for pickup are Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
- The department payroll processor will receive an email notification that the emergency check(s) is ready for pickup at the payroll office
- The email notice must be presented along with a valid Gator 1 Card when picking up the emergency check
- Exceptions may be made for delivery to remote UF locations. If this applies, please contact us at (352) 392-1231. On the Emergency Check Request Form, request overnight mailing of the emergency check to the UF location under “Additional Instructions”. Must provide FedEx account number, person of contact, telephone number, and shipping address for the check(s)
Distributions are part of commitment accounting, and are used to identify the funding source for an employee.
An employee who is exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act overtime payment provisions (“Salary”).
Full time equivalent. If you are hired to work 100% of the normal or standard workweek (a full-time position), you will have an appointment of 1.0 FTE.
An employee who must comply with the Fair Labor Standards Act overtime payment provisions. All hourly USPS and TEAMS classifications are designated as non-exempt and, as such, require that time worked be recorded on an hourly basis. In addition, all hourly OPS employees appointed through Human Resources Services or as student assistants are non-exempt.
05/01/2020: reviewed content
Payroll Services: (352) 392-1231
Recruitment & Staffing: (352) 392-2477
Academic Personnel: (352) 392-2477
UF Benefits: (352) 392-2477