If a check, money order, cashier’s check, 529 check or electronic check (e-check) payment posted to the student account is returned by a financial institution because of insufficient funds or a closed account, the returned payment, along with a service charge will be charged to the student account. The service charge ranges from $25.00 to $40.00 based on the face value of the returned payment.
- Returned payments and service charge must be paid by money order or cashier’s check
- An email notice will be sent to the student’s GatorLink email with instructions for clearing the returned payment amount
- The original charges are reinstated on the account along with a return payment charge:
- $0.00 – $49.00 = $25.00 charge
- $50.00 – $299.00 = $30.00 charge
- $300.00 and over = $40.00 charge
- A financial hold is placed on the student’s account until the charge is paid with a money order or cashier’s check
- The Bursar will continue collection activities on the student account
Student Returned Payment for inaccurate or incorrect financial institution numbers
A $10.00 service fee is charged if the account and/or ACH routing numbers for the e-checks are inaccurate.
- An email will be sent to the student’s GatorLink email with instructions regarding the returned payment
- Payment for this type of return does not require a money order or a cashier’s check
Student Returned Payments for Other Charges
If the returned check was from a student for charges other than tuition or non-tuition charges, departments should review the Returned Checks and Electronic Checks Directive and Procedure for appropriate steps.
12/31/2021: updated content
Bursar: (352) 392-0181