Payments Applied through Financial Aid
The Office for Student Financial Aid and Scholarships (Financial Aid Office) disburses financial aid (including Bright Futures and private scholarships) after their office has verified that the student has completed all of the required documentation required for the delivery of the aid and after the funds become available.
These funds are first applied and credited to applicable charges due on UF student’s account (tuition and fees, housing, book deferments, meal plans, parking decals, etc.) before any refunds are issued.
Federal Title IV financial aid funds require permission for the University to apply the funds to certain miscellaneous charges. Students are notified via their Gatorlink email when financial aid has been posted to their UF student accounts. State, private, and institutional awards and other federal aids will pay all applicable outstanding debts.
Federal Title IV Funds
Federal Title IV funds include the following:
- Federal Pell Grants
- Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants (SEOG)
- Federal Direct Stafford Loans – Subsidized, Unsubsidized, Grad PLUS and Parent PLUS
- Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College & Higher Education Grants (TEACH GRANT)
- Federal Perkins Loans (the federal government no longer grants new Perkins loan advances)
The University of Florida administers these funds on behalf of the U.S. Department of Education. Federal regulations require that all schools apply Title IV aid funds to “allowable charges” which include:
- Mandatory fees
- Dining charges
UF allows many departments to apply charges to student accounts to consolidate billing. These charges are considered “non-allowable” according to Federal regulations. Charges can include:
- Parking decals
- Health Center fees
- Bookstore charges
- Other miscellaneous charges
Federal regulations require UF to obtain students permission to apply Federal Title IV financial aid funds to these “non-allowable charges.” If permission is not received, these funds will only be applied to the allowable charges due. We recommend that the student allow the Bursar to apply Federal Title IV aid to all university charges, otherwise, the student will be at risk of receiving refunds while still owing University charges.
Procedures to Grant Permission
Students can grant permission by the following:
- Log into UF
- Navigate to the Campus Finances (Bursar) card
- Select View Account Summary and then Authorize Student Permissions
How Long Does the Permission Remain Active?
- Student permissions will remain active until revoked by the student.
- Parent permissions will remain active until revoked by the parent borrower or if the parent borrower changes.
Permission is not required.
01/31/2021: reviewed content
Bursar: (352) 392-0737