Payments Applied through Financial Aid
The Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships disburses financial aid, including Bright Futures and private scholarships, as soon as the funds are available and the office has verified that the student has completed all documentation required for delivery of the aid.
These funds are first applied to applicable charges due on the student’s account (such as tuition, fees, housing, books, meal plans, etc.) before any refunds are issued.
Students are notified via their GatorLink email when financial aid has been posted to their account. Federal law requires the University to obtain permission from the student before Federal Title IV financial aid funds can be applied to certain miscellaneous charges. State, private, and institutional awards and other federal aid will pay all applicable outstanding debts.
Federal Title IV Funds
Federal Title IV funds include the following:
- Federal Pell Grants
- Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants (SEOG)
- Federal Direct Stafford Loans – Subsidized, Unsubsidized, Grad PLUS and Parent PLUS
- Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College & Higher Education Grants (TEACH GRANT)
The University of Florida administers these funds on behalf of the U.S. Department of Education. Federal regulations require that all schools apply Title IV aid funds to “allowable charges” which include:
- Mandatory fees
- Dining charges
Many University departments will apply charges directly to a student’s account. Some of these charges are considered “non-allowable” in Federal Regulations and cannot be paid for with Federal Title IV funds without the student’s permission. These charges can include the following:
- Parking decals
- Health Center fees
- Bookstore charges
- Other miscellaneous charges
While permission is not required, we recommend that students grant permission to the University to apply Federal Title IV Funds to their “non-allowable” charges. If permission is not received, these funds will only be applied to the allowable charges due, and aid may be refunded to the student even though there are still charges due on the student’s account.
Procedures to Grant Permission
Students can grant permission by the following:
- Log into ONE.UF
- Navigate to Campus Finances (Bursar)
- Select View My Account and then Authorize Student Permissions (Title IV)
How Long Does the Permission Remain Active?
- Student permissions will remain active until revoked by the student.
- Parent permissions will remain active until revoked by the parent borrower or if the parent borrower changes.
3/31/2023: Reviewed content
Bursar: (352) 392-0737