There are certain ChartFields that are required on all transactions:
- Business Unit
- Department ID
- Program Code (required for all revenue and expense transactions; optional for balance sheet transactions)
- Budget Reference (required for all revenue and expense transactions; optional for balance sheet transactions)
- CRIS (required for fund 221 and 223 with certain flex codes)
- Projects (required for funds 201-214, 275, 501-599)
- Source of Fund (required in fund 171, 201, 209, and 213)
- Flex (required in funds 143, 162, 163, 251, and 223)
In addition, the University requires other specific ChartFields depending on the fund (i.e. Fund 171 requires source of funds, Fund 143 requires department flex, and Fund 201 requires project).
Reason for Directive
Fund accounting is used to track financial transactions per “bucket” and is used to support accountability. Different sources of monies can be used in different ways, and the required ChartFields for those Funds reflect this.
Who must comply?
All UF Departments.
The Required Chartfield by Fund spreadsheet is a helpful resource to provide guidance for fiscal staff.
To look up current Chartfields in myUFL:
Main Menu > Financials > Set Up Financials/Supply Chain > Common Definitions > Design ChartFields > Define Values > ChartField Values
- Click on the appropriate ChartField hyperlink to search for a list of values
- Follow any applicable instructions to search for the available values
- The search will yield a maximum of 300 rows – if the results exceed that, additional criteria will need to be added to narrow down the search
A data field that stores accounting information.
An independent fiscal and accounting entity with a self-balancing set of accounts recording cash and other financial resources, together with all related liabilities and residual equities or balances, and changes therein, which are segregated for the purpose of carrying on specific activities or attaining certain objectives in accordance with special regulations, restrictions, or limitations.
01/31/2021: reviewed content
General Accounting & Financial Reporting: (352) 392-1326
UF Help Desk: (352) 392-HELP