IRS Tax Form 1098-T
What is the 1098-T?
Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement, is an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tax form filed by eligible educational institutions to report qualified tuition and fees payments received during the calendar year (January 1st to December 31st). Eligible educational institutions must provide this form to any student who paid “qualified educational expenses” in the preceding tax year.
Information on this tax form is to assist you in claiming an educational tax credit on your federal income tax return. The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 allows students (or taxpayers claiming students as dependents) to claim certain qualified tuition and fee payments as a Lifetime Learning Credit or the American Opportunity Credit.
IRS Tax Form 1098-T is generated for students who:
- Provided the Registrar with valid social security number
- Paid tuition and fees during the calendar year (January 1st to December 31st)
The information on this tax form is furnished to the Internal Revenue Service. For more information provided on Form 1098-T, call (352) 846-3808.
To View Your 1098-T Form
- Log into ONE.UF
- Select Campus Finances (Bursar) Card
- Select View My Account
- Under Related Links, select View 1098-T then choose the appropriate tax year
Understanding the 1098-T
Box 1 includes the amount of qualified tuition paid during the calendar year.
- Per IRS regulations, the qualified tuition and fee payments in Box 1 does not include payments for either the student health fee or the transportation access fee, which are mandatory per credit hour fees at the university.
- To view the tuition components, see the Tuition & Fees section of this site.
Box 5 will include scholarships, grants or fellowships processed by the University that the student received during the calendar year. Box 5 does not include CARES ACT emergency grant funding received in calendar year 2020.
Consult your tax advisor or Internal Revenue Service (IRS) publications and websites for tax information. The University of Florida is not able to assist you in determining your tax credit or deduction eligibility or with preparing your income tax return.
For more information on the available tax credits or fellowship information, please see IRS Publication 970 or the American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC) and Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC).
International students who receive financial aid should contact Payroll Services at (352) 392-1231 for additional assistance.
01/31/2021: reviewed content
Bursar: (352) 392-0181
Payroll Services: (352) 392-1231