Travel with Foundation Funds
Departments must follow all UF business processes, including all UF Travel Directives & Procedures, when expending University of Florida Foundation (UFF) monies. This includes pre-approval of travel via the Travel Authorization. No UFF funds may be used for first class travel.
Reason for Directive
As of July 1, 2004, the University of Florida (UF) and the University of Florida Foundation, Inc. (UFF), a direct support organization (DSO) of UF, entered into an agreement regarding expenditures of UFF funds held for the use and benefit of UF, and how to process such funds.
Departments must ensure that UFF funds are legitimately used for travel based on the following criteria:
- The use must be reasonable and benefit the University of Florida
- The use must fall within the donor’s intent for the gift
- The use must not jeopardize UFF’s tax-exempt status
- The use must comply with all applicable University regulations
Who must comply?
All University Departments.
- Ensure all criteria are met to confirm the legitimate use of UFF funds for travel
- Enter all travel-related expenditures with UFF funds through the Travel and Expense Module
- UF faculty and staff who are entertaining prospective donors, job candidates or dignitaries should charge those costs to an entertainment expense
- The actual costs of meals and other related entertainment expenses may be reimbursed if reasonable, properly documented, and justified
4/30/2021: reviewed content
Travel & Employee Reimbursements: (352) 392-1241
UF Foundation: (352) 392-1691