Travel Reimbursements for the Recruitment Process
Any department seeking to recruit for a position may, with the approval of its Dean, Director or Department Head, pay either full or partial travel expenses of candidates for the position. Interview costs are the responsibility of the department involved. When approval by the Dean, Director or Department Head has been obtained, the department can proceed with arrangements for interviews. All candidates should be advised of allowable expenses prior to the interview.
Reason for Directive
The purpose of this policy is to ensure accurate reimbursement of current and prospective employees and compliance with University policies.
Who must comply?
All UF departments.
Expenses prospective employees may be reimbursed for include:
- Cost of transportation to and from the interview site, including local transportation
- Actual cost of lodging
- State of Florida rates for meals
- Expenses for transportation, food, and lodging for accompanying guest (generally limited to one visit)
Travel expenses will be reimbursed in accordance with University Travel Directives and Procedures and at rates specified in those directives. Requests for reimbursement of travel expenses must be processed through the Travel and Expense module in myUFL.
Exceptions to this directive must be approved in advance by the appropriate President’s Cabinet officer or Dean. This approval must be documented and attached to the reimbursement.
Employees may participate in recruitment activities (luncheons, dinners, or receptions, etc.) to allow the prospective employee to meet with a search committee, University hosts, and/or faculty/staff within the department may be reimbursed for expenses, provided the following requirements are met:
- Original paid receipts must be attached as supporting documentation with the following information:
- Name of prospective employee
- Title of position for which recruitment expenses have been incurred
- A listing of University hosts and any accompanying guests attending the activities
- A statement by the individual incurring the expense: “I certify these expenses were incurred as a result of recruiting for employment by the University of Florida.”
- Expenses for alcohol may only be reimbursed using discretionary Foundation Funds
- Meals with candidates:
- Generally, candidates are to be entertained at dinner by the appropriate department head (or substitute) plus a maximum of two other university hosts
- The University will not cover the costs for large groups of employees
- Executive Search Firms – If the recruiting process may require use of an executive search firm, contact Procurement prior to engaging any firm
12/31/2021: reviewed content
Travel & Employee Reimbursements: (352) 392-1241
Procurement: (352) 392-1331