unit logo
  1. Home
  2. Knowledge Base
  3. Travel
  4. Prior to Travel
  5. Travel Authorizations

Travel Authorizations

Directive Statement

A Travel Authorization (TA) for university business must be entered into the Travel and Expense Module. It is required for all travel relating to:

  • Conferences/Conventions
  • Cash Advances
  • Foreign Travel
  • When there is a registration fee
  • When a university employee is stationed in a city or town and will be paid per diem for a period of over 30 continuous workdays

All other types of travel will require a less formal method of authorization (e.g., email or letter), but will still need departmental approval by the individual with budgetary responsibilities. Comp TA’s do not fall into any of these categories and are not required.

Account Codes for Travel

Please use the following guide for selecting In-State, Out-of-State or Foreign travel when completing a travel authorization or an expense report. All expenses are shown where the business take place.


  • In-State
    When the business portion of the trip is in Florida, then all expenses, no matter where they occurred, would be in-state
  • Out-of-State
    When the business portion is in any other state or U.S. territory, then all expenses, no matter where they occurred, would be out-of-state
  • Foreign
    When traveling to or from a foreign country all expenses, no matter where they occurred, would be considered foreign travel

Reason for Directive

To ensure all travel is authorized.

Who must comply?

All UF departments.


Follow the steps in the UF HR Toolkit – Create a Travel Authorization to enter a TA into myUFL.  For any questions, contact the Travel Office at (352) 392-1241.

Additional Resources

UF Passport Services | Appointments

Last Reviewed

09/30/2022: reviewed content


UF HR Toolkit – Travel and Expense Module


Travel Office: (352) 392-1241

Email: travel@ufl.edu

Still have a question?

View our FAQs