This directive establishes the procedures to rent a car for University travel, as the current State of Florida contract for rental vehicles is with Enterprise– State of Florida Contract 78111808-15-1.
The state contract requires the rental of a compact or a justification, signed by the traveler, of the necessity for a larger vehicle. The state contract with Enterprise includes the rental class of hybrid vehicles. The rental of a hybrid vehicle will be allowed without a justification.
If there is failure to use the Enterprise contract for rental vehicles, written justification will be required by the traveler. In the event the traveler fails to justify use of a rental company other than the above vendor, any additional cost will be borne by the traveler.
Reason for Directive
When determining method of travel, consideration is to be given to the total cost to the University, considering time of the traveler, impact on the productivity of the traveler, cost of transportation, and per diem or subsistence required.
To ensure the best price for the University, travelers must use the state contract.
Who Must Comply?
All UF departments.
All UF travelers who make reservations for vehicle rentals should establish an Emerald Club account.
- This program can be used by Enterprise to track rental spend for the University. It will also make setting up reservations and picking up/dropping off vehicles much less of a burden
- Please contact Brett Wallen (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Randy Staples (email@example.com) for the link to join the Emerald Club program.
All rental car reservations can be booked through the Rental Vehicles website 24 hours in advance of the required pickup time. UF’s online reservation page does not show vehicle availability. For rentals up through a full size, the website will allow you to make a reservation even if cars are not available locally. Adhering to the 24-hour lead time method outlined below will guarantee a vehicle will be available for you.
- Make a reservation at least 24 hours in advance. Enterprise will accept reservations made at least 24 hours in advance on rentals where the pick-up and drop-off location will be the same and seven calendar days in advance on one-way rentals. These renters will be given priority.
- Retain the confirmation number for future reference
- If a compact size vehicle is reserved but at the time of rental is not available, a larger vehicle should be substituted, at the contract rate
- If a reservation is made online with less than a 24-hour lead time, Enterprise/National will contact you and make you aware of the availability of vehicles and attempt to find a vehicle for you but a vehicle will NOT be guaranteed
In case of an accident:
- Call the police
- Call the location you rented from. That number should be on the invoice/receipt they gave you. It is a good practice when at the location to get one of their business cards. All rentals have Roadside Assistance Protection at no cost to you. The Branch should start the claim report over the phone and, if determined you need a car brought to you, they can transfer your call to our Roadside Assistance to arrange a tow. If it is after hours the recording at all locations allows you to make the request to be transferred to the 24/7 Roadside Assistance and they will help.
If it is necessary to rent a vehicle from a non-contract vendor, purchase both physical damage coverage (comp and collision) and supplemental liability coverage when renting outside the Enterprise or National contracts. The state’s auto liability certificate excludes any liability we assume by contract or agreement, so those two coverages are needed to protect UF and the employee/driver.
Paying for a Rental Vehicle
The cost of rental vehicles may be charged to a University of Florida Purchasing Card, a personal credit card or Enterprise Electronic Billing Agreement (EEB) number. Departments need to have the Electronic Billing Agreement number to rent for an employee as well as a non-employee and to comply with University guidelines.
To receive an EEB number:
- Complete the Enterprise Electronic Billing Agreement Form
- Email the form to the contact information at the bottom of the form (firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com).
- An Enterprise representative will contact you to complete the process and establish your billing account
- Charge the rental costs to a UF PCard
Items that are charged using the Enterprise Billing Account will receive two invoices per month. If you have billing questions, please contact Jodi L Rivera (904) 219-7044.
Rentals for Non-UF Employees
The department will need to use the Enterprise Electronic Billing Agreement number for all visitors so that state contract rate may be obtained. Enterprise will not allow the state rate for rental vehicles to a non-UF employee unless this directive is followed.
Unless a student is an employee of UF, they are not allowed the UF/State contract rate unless it is for business. If using for business the student must have the department rent the vehicle for them, using the departments UF PCard that is linked to an Enterprise billing number. University of Florida visitors or University of Florida students that are not employees cannot use the UF/State contract for personal use.
UF has been granted permission by the City of Gainesville to utilize a parking lot across the street from the Enterprise location at 410 NW 39th Avenue. If you pick up your vehicle from this location, you will have parking available for you at no cost.
Please note, the City did request that UF travelers utilizing this lot park at the end of the lot right across from Enterprise. Below is a placard to place on your vehicle’s dash to identify that the vehicle belongs to a UF employee.
Enterprise/National are linked to the PlatePass program for a toll payment solution in the State of Florida. There will be a $3.95 convenience charge per 24-hour period for use not to exceed $19.75 on any given one rental (Florida); this does not include tolls.
If you do not want to use this service, you have two other options:
- Go through and pay at the tollbooth, you will not be billed by PlatePass
- If you use your personal transponder in the Enterprise vehicle, let the Enterprise agent know, so they can deactivate their PlatePass. You can print receipts for any PlatePass charges at the following website: https://www.htallc.com/en/invoice/search| (866) 285-6050
Returning the Vehicle
Renter of the vehicle should make sure the car is returned with the same amount of gas as at the beginning of the rental. A PCard may be used to put gas in the rental car.
05/01/2020: reviewed content
Travel & Employee Reimbursements: (352) 392-1241
PlatePass: (866) 285-6050