Questions for Tier 3 Leaders to Ask
This purpose of this resource is to provide new department leaders a starting point to begin a conversation with their Tier 1 and Tier 2 employees about fiscal responsibility and current practices in the unit.
All leaders should create a department environment that encourages all tiers to maintain effective communication surrounding the reconciliation process.
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with suggestions for additional questions to add to this list.
- I would like to meet ____ (biweekly, monthly, quarterly, etc.) to discuss fiscal matters. Do you think this is the right timing? What conversations should we have during these meetings to ensure fiscal responsibility? Who else should be a part of these meetings?
- What fiscal training has the staff in the area taken? Are there any gaps in training? How do we ensure employees stay up-to-date on fiscal training?
- How and when are the monies in our area being spent?
- What are the fiscal matters and spending trends I should know to understand variances, exceptions, and fluctuations in revenues and expenditures?
- Do we have a process for reconciling the monthly financial reports? Is it done monthly? How many people are involved in the process? Who follows up on any variances or errors that need correction? How will I obtain these reports to spot-check?
- How do we store our supporting documentation?
- Do we have a shadow system? If so, what is it and why is it used? How do we ensure that balances and transactions are accurately reflected? Do we reconcile it to the myUFL monthly financial reports?
- What do you think are our fiscally high-risk areas? What controls do we have in place for these?
- How many PCards are there in our area? When was the last time the limit and need was reviewed for cardholders? Do we have a process for regularly reviewing this?
- What approval processes are in place for purchases? Do we have limits that require pre-approval? Do we have a process for regularly reviewing these limits?
- How do we communicate information pertinent to both the HR and finance functions? Is this effective?
- What are our processes when an employee leaves the University? How do we ensure we are terminating people in the system in a timely manner? Do we use the “Notification of Departing PI” or HR Exit Checklist?
- What processes do HR and finance have in place to review the Payroll Reconciliation?
- What processes do we have in place for contracts and grants? Can you show me myInvestigator and explain how it is used in our area? Do all Tiers feel supported to speak up and question expenditures?
- How can I support the Tier 1 and Tier 2 staff? Are you encountering any barriers that require my assistance?
2/10/2020: reviewed content
University Controller’s Office: (352) 392-1321