unit logo
  1. Home
  2. Knowledge Base
  3. Bursar
  4. UF Departments
  5. Paying Tuition and Fees

Paying Tuition and Fees

Directive Statement

This directive establishes the proper methods of paying tuition and fees from departmental funds.

Reason for Directive

To ensure all tuition and fee payments by university departments are adequately documented.

Who must comply?

All University Departments.


University of Florida departments are not able to issue a check to the Bursar to pay tuition and fee charges for students. Departments must contact the Bursar’s Third-Party Billing area at (352) 392-9545 to determine if establishing a billing arrangement is warranted. Please be aware that Department payments on a student’s account may affect the student’s financial aid award.

  1. If billing arrangement is warranted, the Third-Party Billing area will request additional information from the department to establish a third-party contract.  Once the contract has been established, the department will be instructed on how to complete the Request to Pay University of Florida for Tuition & Fees with Established Billing Arrangements with UB form.  Details are below.
  2. If establishing a billing arrangement is not warranted, departments are instructed to pay tuition and fees through the standard Scholarship Notification Document (SND) process with the Office of Student Financial Affairs (Financial Aid Office), 352-392-1275 or https://www.sfa.ufl.edu/.

Request to Pay UF for Tuition & Fees

The requestor must sign a Request to Pay UF for Tuition & Fees Form. To complete the form:

  1. Provide name of requesting department, requestor’s name, email address and phone number. Requestor must have UF_AP_VCHR_PROCESSOR security role
  2. Indicate the cost center (chartfield) to be charged.
    1. The cost center must include the Department ID, Fund, Program Code, and Account and the following fields (if required): Department Flex, Source of Funds, Project, and CRIS
  3. Indicate the total amount to charge to the cost center.
  4. Provide the name(s), UFID(s), term of tuition & fees to be paid and the total amount to be paid.
  5. The total amount(s) from step 4 must equal the total amount in step 3

If the tuition & fees to be paid are for the requestor’s UFID, then the Dean, Director or Department Head must also approve and sign.

The Bursar will create a journal entry using the cost center information listed on the form.

  • Please note that the credit side of the journal entry will be cash account 112700
  • Bursar creates and posts the journals because the timing of posting the payment (offsetting entry) to UF’s subsidiary system is very crucial to ensure proper application of the transactions.
  • Bursar will notify the requestor by email of the Journal ID used to post the requested transaction.

The Bursar may contact the requestor of the department if other information is needed.

The department must notify the Office for Student Financial Affairs if the department is paying tuition and fees on behalf of a student, as the payment may affect the student’s financial aid award package.

Last Reviewed

12/31/2021: updated content


Bursar: (352) 392-9545

Office of Student Financial Affairs (Financial Aid Office): (352) 392-1275

Still have a question?

View our FAQs