Foreign Travel Expense Reports
The University may reimburse authorized travelers for foreign travel based on the current rates as specified by the U.S. Department of State, Office of Allowances. If claiming per diem during foreign travel instead of actual lodging expenses incurred up to the maximum, and instead of the meal allowances, the total per diem rate will be $80 per day.
Reimbursement for travel to a terrorist state shall not be allowed on State funds. Currently, the U.S. State Department assigns that designation to four countries: Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.
Travelers are allowed up to 1 day on domestic travel and 2 days on foreign travel to reach destination and return from destination if needed.
Reason for Directive
To ensure compliance with the U.S. Department of State foreign per diem allowances, as well as all rules and regulations of the University.
Who must comply?
All UF departments.
Review the Expenses for Foreign Travel directive & procedure for information on allowable rates for lodging, meals, and per diem.
- Follow the steps in the UF HR Toolkit – Create an Expense Report
- Enter amounts in U.S. dollars
- If receipts are in a foreign language and currency, identify each item and note the rate of exchange for conversion to U.S. dollars (USD)
- The applicable USD exchange rates are those rates which are in effect the day the transaction occurs, for example the day a hotel bill is paid
- Primary sources for these rates are OANDA, The Wall Street Journal, banks, currency exchange receipts provided by the traveler
Paying Foreign Travelers
The UF Travel Office has established a program to assist departments with paying some foreign travelers that are coming to the university to ensure payment is received before departure by the visitor. It is allowed in situations where payment could not be made by any other means or would bring hardship to the visitor.
- The department must complete a travel authorization. Follow instructions in the UF HR Toolkit
- Submit the Foreign Visiting Traveler Payment Form to the UF Travel Office. Please follow the guidance on the form. If you have any questions, please contact us at (352) 392-1241 or firstname.lastname@example.org
05/01/2020: reviewed content
Travel and Employee Reimbursements: (352) 392-1241
Asset Management: (352) 392-2556
University of Florida International Center: (352) 392-5323