unit logo

Updated UF Guidance on Travel

As UF reopens and reengages with other universities, industries, research and instructional initiatives, and governmental agencies, it is to be expected that members of the community will engage in additional travel closely tied to these activities. Consequently, essential travel directly connected to assigned university duties will be approved by the Dean of a College (or analogous Director in certain units), a Senior Vice President, or Vice President. At this time and until further notice, Deans and Directors may not delegate this responsibility to Department Chairs. No travel reimbursements will be issued without that approval.

Employees are still strongly encouraged to minimize personal travel.

Employees who do travel should inform themselves about restrictions and quarantines either in the areas to which they travel or requirements of the State of Florida and the University of Florida in returning from certain locations. UF may require returning employees to self-quarantine for 14 days after returning from certain destinations.

Employees are reminded that any international travel must be pre-approved by a Dean (or SVP or VP) and must be registered on the International Center International Travel Registration website https://internationalcenter.ufl.edu/travel/online-travel-registration. Employees are further reminded that they could find their movements severely restricted in international travel, including re-entry into the United States.

The links below have been provided to assist with the most relevant COVID-19 information for decision making when considering Travel:

More information regarding these decisions as well as other questions related to COVID-19 are available by accessing these updated FAQs.

What are our current initiatives?

  • Travel Process Improvement: We recently collected feedback from almost 300 people across campus on the current travel process in an effort to begin implementing solutions to improve travel for the campus community.  Stay tuned for more information!

All Other Inquiries

What is the first thing I should do if I am a new travel processor?
Take the UF Travel Directives Workshop (PRO306) and Travel and Expense – 9.1 (PST930).

Prior to Travel

I want to create a Travel Authorization or an Expense Report for someone in my department but when I go to create it, their UFID isn’t there. What should I do?
Email travel@ufl.edu asking them to link you to that person. You will need to provide yours and their UFID.
My TA is still showing as an open encumbrance report. How can I get this removed?
Send an e-mail to travel@ufl.edu . Include the TA number and the ER number that it is linked to and the travel team will research it for you.

Travel Expenses

I did an expense report on Friday when should the traveler expect payment?
The pay cycle for Travel & Expense runs twice a week, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Expense Reports that are approved on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday & Monday pay on Tuesday (EFT shows up in bank account on Wednesday). Expense Reports approved on Tuesday and Wednesday pay on Thursday (EFT shows up in bank account on Friday).
What about collision insurance coverage when renting from AVIS/Budget?
The state of Florida rental contract with Enterprise contains insurance coverage if the AVIS/Budget Code (AWC or BCD) is used when renting a vehicle. This applies to all types of vehicles.